On the death of Paul Goethals, Archbishop of Calcutta, in July 1901 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Calcutta commemorated his memory by the establishment of an educational institution for boys in Kurseong (Darjeeling Dist., West Bengal). In February 1907 classes started in the building erected by the first Principal, Br. M.S. O'Brien (1907-1914). The number of boys in residence was 110. The official opening took place on 30 April 1907. Lt. General, Sir Andrew Fraser formally opened the school. There were 110 boys in school on the opening day. The first prospectus had in view the affiliation of the School to the Shibpur Engineering College, Calcutta. However, the Sub Overseer Course did not fit with the needs of the pupils and was dropped in favour of the Cambridge Locals. The school was affiliated with the University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate, U.K. until the 1970s when the school switched to the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education curriculum. The affiliation of the school to the Council for the Indian School certificate Examinations is thus considered to be from November 1958. Very soon there were 200 boarders. A two years' engineering class started for the purpose of obtaining entrance into the Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur for mining and several of the boys became managers of mines. For many years a farm was worked at Goethals which supplied the school with milk, butter, vegetables, eggs and meat. However, because of the depredations of some of the local community, the farm had to be given up and the land is now under trees. As the hill station of Kurseong is much nearer to Calcutta than that of Nainital, the Provincial, Brother Fabian Kenneally, built a holiday house for the Brothers of the plains close to the Goethals. Hurka Maya's flat, a few hundred feet above the school was selected as the site of the vacation house which, when completed, gave accommodation for 36 Brothers and was used for many a mid-summer holiday by the communities from the houses in the plains. When Br. Arsenius Ryan became Provincial (1914) he made it the Novitiate and called it Mount Carmel. In 2001, Bro.James Joseph decided to open the Edmund Rice School at Goethals to give students who had dropped out from the regular school system to complete their education through the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS). This venture focused on the education of girls from deprived backgrounds. Besides preparing for the Class 10 and 12 examinations, they are given a good grounding in English. They are also taught a number of skills which enable them to be self employed or to be skilled for employment. Bro. Cyril Christopher presently heads the project. In October 2012, many of the parents of the present pupils and many Past Pupils who had come to the school for the Annual Sports programme made a formal request to the then Principal, Bro. E.L. Miranda, to consider the up-gradation of the school to Class 12 (ISC). After consideration of the appeal by the Governing Body of the School ? the Congregation of Christian Brothers in India, it was decided to apply to the CISCE to affiliate the school for the ISC. The affiliation for the ISC (Science & Commerce Streams) was granted on the 15th April 2013. Admissions to the Higher Secondary commenced immediately and classes began thereafter. The Boarding for the ISC students is presently in Mount Carmel. The school (classes KG to 12) presently has 910 students, 365 of whom are residential students (Classes 3 to 12).